Re: Possible bug in ACPI

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 12:06:54 +0300
Alexey Starikovskiy <alexey.y.starikovskiy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is a patch reverted by Linus from rc6-git2 because it broke his
> Compaq n620c, it refers to #5534 bug. Basically, kacpid deadlocks on
> some new HP notebooks, and all incoming requests would be queued until
> memory is over if this patch is not applied. On a bright side -- it's
> not a memory leak...
> Patch, which works for Linus laptop and "looks acceptable" to Linus is
> the last in #5534 list.

hm, if you say so.  The description in that patch is nowhere near complete
enough for me to be able to work out what it does.

The sys_sched_yield() is particularly incomprehensible and needs good
commenting.  You are, I hope, aware of the severe problems which yield()
causes when the system is busy?  The process which calls it will get
practically no CPU at all.

Minor point: that patch has several unneded (and undesirable) casts of void*:

+static void acpi_os_execute_notify(void *context)
+{
+	struct acpi_os_dpc *dpc = (struct acpi_os_dpc *)context;

please remove those.
-