Re: Comments about commit 'PCI: docking station: remove dock uevents'?

On Mon 13. Nov - 19:50:25, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 08:43:27PM +0100, Holger Macht wrote:
>
> > What I'm doing at the moment (for about a week ;-) is to echo "- - -" to
> > /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/scan for all unoccupied hosts on a dock
> > event. And this works pretty good. But it's of course only a workaround if
> > the scsi bus generates an event.
>
> That's just about workable for adding a device, but it loses badly for
> removing one.

On before physically removing the laptop I did an echo 1 >
/sys/.../device/delete . That's actually the reason why I need a undock
event in userspace for now.

> > With recent kernel I have to unregister from the drive from userspace to
> > prevent confusion about if the drive is still there or not.
>
> Right. And that doesn't help in the case where the user undocks without
> waiting for everything to stop flashing first. Of course, in that case
> it's probably reasonable to tell the user that they lose, but we can do
> better than leaving a random drive lying around and a partially wedged
> sata bus...

User presses lever on dock station or presses Fn+F9 on a thinkpad
generates a undock acpi event, then I'm unregistering the device, then I
trigger the undock from userspace and at this point the indicator on the
dock station turns green so the user knows that he can remove the laptop.

Regards,
	Holger
-