RE: ia64 acpi-cpufreq driver

Yes. Something like this will work. I don't think it is the intent of
the SPEC. As I understand, FFH in SPEC is intended to be used whenever
we have hardware/processor specific interfaces (As described in ACPI 3.0
spec - page 46). Also, it will complicate the code. I think having
separate code, even if there is some amount of duplication is there, is
better in this case. The reasons:
- i386 acpi-cpufreq code has support for both IO port and FFH. Please
refer to arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.c in 2.6.19-rc2-mm2,
which is a lot different from current git.

- FFH in i386 works in a different way from IPF. Specifically,
PERF_STATUS is just a register read, and hardware performance feedback
is by using different APERF/MPERF MSR. But, in IPF it is done through
passing a different type parameter to same PAL_GET_PSTATE calls (will be
adding this to IPF driver soon).

Thanks,
Venki
-