Re: Blacklisted system / blacklisting bad

On Sunday 03 September 2006 05:34, Dieter Jurzitza wrote:

> I recently got a HP VISUALIZE NT workstation, using 2x 1GHz PIII processors
>. After installation ACPI was always  disabled, the on board USB interface did not work
>(kernel 2.6.11.4 (SuSE  linux 9.3)
>
> I tested using acpi=force on the commandline and that solved two problems:
>
> 1.) shutdown -h now switches the machine off (should be expected :-):-) )
> 2.) much more important: the onboard USB interface works now.
>
> After patching dmi_scan.c and removing the blacklist-entry I get the following
> message at boot time:

ACPI is necessary to get the interrupts right for USB to work on this box.
pci=noacpi and acpi=ht will cause ACPI to be disabled for interrupt routing
and thus USB will fail with those.

As Luming pointed out, Shaohua's _CRS workaround for the _BBN BIOS bug
is what your system needed, and that is why "acpi=force" is working.
It seems that perhaps the DMI blacklist entry pre-dated that workaround.

Please verify that 2.6.18-rc7 works with "acpi=force" on this box,
and if it does, please send me a patch to remove the entry in that kernel.

thanks,
-Len
-