no /proc/acpi/fan on Fujitsu ST5032D

A new Gentoo install from 2006.1 Live. I've installed the latest 'gentoo-sources', compiled and it boots ok.

Neither the liveCD nor the new kernels show any entries at all in /proc/acpi/fan or /proc/acpi/thermal.

Other acpi entries are present.

I have tried every distro's live CD I can find - same results. Full installs of Kubuntu Dapper 6.06 the same. I could read CPU speed and battery, but the thermal stuff doesn't exist. The machine gets hot, and I can't risk Linux on it until the fan turns on. It never does.

Hardware is a Fujitsu Stylistic ST5032D tablet:
1.2G Centrino ULV
Intel 915 video
2G RAM

Native OS is XP Pro TabletPC, and the fan runs properly with that OS, so I know it works.

I get the same behavior with a Fujitsu ST3400s tablet with Xubuntu (didn't test with XP - I mean the same symptoms with Linux - no fan, no entries). However, the thermal zone & temperature do appear on the ST3400s.

The default LiveCD kernel has all the ACPI stuff, I load the modules by hand, the new kernel has ACPI entries, the same, no devices, no fan, no temperatures.

Help please?  I would like to get on with making tablets usable with Linux.

Thanks,
Bret
-