Re: 2.6.18-rc5 -rc5-mm1: kacpid continuously generating 4% CPU load on HPC nx6325 w/ SUSE 10.1

There is an infinite loop in thermal GPE handler of these HP machines,
which could only be interrupted by thermal device poll. In this loop handler
sends Notify() to thermal zone, which, if executed, will cause the needed poll.
Problem is that this Notify() will be queued in the same kacpid workqueue,
which executes loop of the handler, so it has no chance to run -- we have a dead lock.
SUSE sets all thermal zones into polling mode, thus breaking the above
loop every 2-3 seconds or so (polling interval). At this moment all queued notifies
for thermal zone are free to run, and you see your 4% of cpu usage by kacpid.
There are several attempts to remove the above deadlock by either having a pool of threads (up to 10),
stealing work from single kacpid workqueue thread (Peters' patch), or executing notify()
events on separate kernel thread (my patch).
Peters' patch is already shipped in Ubuntu 6.06 kernel, mine was removed from -rc2 after
it broke Linus' Compaq n620c, which has slightly different loop in DSDT (global locks this time).
Peters' patch seems dangerous as it tampers with workqueue interface and solves the problem by brute force methods,
while mine had problem of possibly creating a classical fork DoS atack and creating threads during work of
suspend/resume -thus breaking it.
I just did one more attempt to solve this problem -- there is already patch to not defer execution of global lock
release (thus removing it from dead lock scenario of n620c), so the only dead lock could happen between execution of
Notify and whatever is on kacpid workqueue. Creation of second workqueue for notifies seems to solve problem with my
nx6125, while not breaking suspend and not creating threads dynamically.

Hope that explanation is usefull,
Regards,
	Alex.

-