Re: hp dv8000t dead on resume from RAM

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Tuesday 08 August 2006 19:15, Brannon Barrett Klopfer wrote:
Howdy,

My hp dv8000t (core duo) is completely dead on resume from RAM (no caps
lock, sysrq, netconsole,
nothing). I've tried a recent (2.6.18-rc4) kernel running almost entirely
naked, so to speak (~990K) -- no support for:

SMP
preempt
modules
networking (+ enet drivers, unless running netconsole)
USB and SATA (not at same time; rootfs is either usb drive or SATA [ext2/3])
FireWire
cpufreq
framebuffer (vga=0)
audio
PCMCIA
IDE (for cdrom)

I've tried both native SATA (ahci) and legacy (ata_piix), but same result
w/both -- completely dead on resume from RAM. Blindly entering commands
does nothing, and running "$suspend ; $shutdown" does nothing either. I've
also tried with and without noapic, and a number of other kernel
paramaters, but nothing seems to work.

Be more than happy to try out patches, etc. to get this thing working.
Additionally, if someone could point me to that "beep on resume" patch,
that'd be great.

First, please apply the appended patch and try the following:

(1)
# echo testproc > /sys/power/disk
# echo disk > /sys/power/state

This should turn off the non-boot CPU, freeze all processes, wait for 5
seconds and then thaw the processes and the CPU.
Works fine. FWIW, after applying the patchs (so as to have 2.6.18-rc3-mm2), my internal keyboard didn't work, so I used a USB one. It could be my simple .config'ing error, didn't spend much time with it, but know that I did use a USB keyboard, hence USB support in the kernel.
(2)
# echo test > /sys/power/disk
# echo disk > /sys/power/state

This should turn off the non-boot CPU, freeze all processes, shrink
memory, suspend all devices, wait for 5 seconds, resume the devices etc.
IOW it does everything that's needed for a suspend except for actually
suspending.
With *legacy* ata_piix, it works fine, as does a "real" suspend-to-disk. It still *will not* resume properly from suspend-to-RAM, with and without noapic. FWIW, somehow the built-in keyboard managed to get its caps lock light on (I couldn't get it off again), and it *did* come back on when the machine resumed from RAM, though nothing else (network, usb, etc.) worked.

Using native ahci and the "test" suspend-to-disk, the system hangs. I did this from init=/bin/bash with vga=794 (so I could see all output), however, at least the last few lines match w/vga=0 (i.e., fb didn't affect problem). The hand-copied (pardon any typos) output is:
---
Disabling non-boot CPUs ...
CPU 1 is now offline
SMP alternatives: switching to UP code
CPU1 is down
Stopping tasks: =======|
Shrinking memory... done (0 pages freed)
Suspending device usbdev4.5
Suspending device usbdev4p5_ep82
Suspending device 4-2.1:1.1
Suspending device usbdev4.5_ep81
Suspending device 4-2.1:1.0
Suspending device usbdev4.5_ep00
Suspending device 4-2.1
Suspending device usbdev4.4
Suspending device usbdev4.4_ep81
Suspending device 4-2:1.0
Suspending device usbdev4.4_ep00
Suspending device 4-2
Suspending device vcsa1
Suspending device vcs1
Suspending device eisa.0
Suspending device i2c-0
Suspending device i2c-0
Suspending device psaux
Suspending device serio4
Suspending device serio3
Suspending device serio2
Suspending device serio1
Suspending device serio0
Suspending device i8042
# Short pause here...
atkbd.c: Spurious ACK on isa0060/serio0. Some program might be trying access hardware directly.
Suspending device usbdev5.1
Suspending device usbdev5.1_ep81
Suspending device 5-0:1.0
Suspending device usbdev5.1_ep00
Suspending device usb5
Suspending device usbdev4.1
Suspending device usbdev4.1_ep81
Suspending device 4-0:1.0
Suspending device usbdev4.1_ep00
Suspending device usb4
Suspending device usbdev3.1
Suspending device usbdev3.1_ep81
Suspending device 3-0:1.0
Suspending device usbdev3.1_ep00
Suspending device usb3
Suspending device usbdev2.1
Suspending device usbdev2.1_ep81
Suspending device 2-0:1.0
Suspending device usbdev2.1_ep00
Suspending device usb2
Suspending device usbdev1.1
Suspending device usbdev1.1_ep81
Suspending device 1-0:1.0
Suspending device usbdev1.1_ep00
Suspending device usb1
Suspending device 0:0:0:0
Suspending device target0:0:0
Suspending device host3
Suspending device host2
Suspending device host1
Suspending device host0
Suspending device 0.0
# Hangs here. Screen blanks in maybe 5-10min, won't turn back on; I assume this is the hardware doing something. Again, this is only with ahci.
---

I'll try to get that beep patch, to further diagnose things...

Thanks,
Brannon
Greetings,
Rafael