RE: kacpi_notify?

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Brown, Len wrote:

> Does /proc/interrupts show that the acpi interrupt is ticking along
> at the same rate as the kacpid_notify build-up?

It's really hard to tell.

The machine starts out fine, with no kacpid_notify buildup AT ALL.

Then, at some point, something changes. I dunno what, but I'm guessing the
temperature goes up, and it gets a temp event and wants to turn on the
fan.

And when that happens, things go to hell very quickly, and the whole
machine becomes undebuggable quite soon. And it's really hard to hit the
window between "uhhuh, bad things are starting to happen" and the "oops,
the machine is now totally deal, only the magic scrolllock keys work any
more".

So I can give you info about what the machine dos _before_ things go bad,
and I can give limited register info about what happens when the machine
is totally hosed, but I've only been able to get very lucky a few times
(usually it's a "ps ax" that I had running to try to trigger it, and it
locks up in the _middle_ of the "ps", showing tens of the kacpid_notify
things - there are probably thousands, but the "ps ax" takes long enough
that the machine runs out of memory before it even finishes.

> If you run with  CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=n or otherwise nuke
> the thermal module, does the interrupt and the kacpid_notify symptom go
> away?

I'll try that. Right now I've started a "git bisect" run, since it seemed
to be the easiest way to get _some_ information about the problem, without
having to know much else about it.

The problem, of course, is that there are those 6000 commits (fine, that's
about 13 kernels to be tested), but more importantly that I'm not 100%
sure how repeatable it all is (see above - it's not like it locks up
immediately on boot, there seems to be something that triggers it, usually
while doing a kernel compile or a big grep), and if I ever get that answer
wrong, I'll be doing it all in vain.

		Linus
-