Re: 2.6.17-rc5-mm3: oops when ejecting dock

Kristen Accardi wrote:
So, here is a patch which will fix the bug.  The problem that I found
after I fixed the bug occurs in this circumstance:
1.  boot in ultrabase
2.  undock

But not in this case:
1.  boot outside base
2.  dock/undock etc.

The symptom of the problem is that you will undock and your machine will
get a softlockup on a CPU and just hang.  Checking the log file (when
possible) shows lots errors from hdc: and ide: (this ultrabase has a
cdrom on it which would be hdc).  I am using an x40 to duplicate the
issue, so you may have a different experience than I do.  The problem
seems to be that the cdrom that is on the ultrabase is not unplugging
gracefully.  I may have to hook up with whoever is working on the ide
hotplug and see if this is something I can fix.

Incidentally, the reason it works fine when you boot outside the base
and then dock/undock is because the cdrom is also not getting properly
inserted.  So, it appears to power it on, but it is not actually being
hotplugged.

I've observed this without the acpi dock driver present.

I was wondering if the ibm acpi ultrabay file ("bay") entry could be used to "eject" the optical device. It doesn't appear on the X60 (listed as "not supported"), probably because the ACPI name changed to SATA from than IDE0; I haven't really looked into it yet. But I think the basic problem is that the IDE layer doesn't seem to support hot add/remove of devices.

I guess that means that at present the acpi dock driver does nothing, but it at least gives us an event to hang the ata device events off once the subsystem supports hot (or even warm) device add/remove.

-