RE: Output ACPI info via sysfs

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 00:17 -0400, Brown, Len wrote:
>  >Anaconda can't determine the number of CPUs or sockets actually present
> >(in use or not, enabled or disabled) in a system, which we
> >need to do in
> >order to determine what kernel we should install.
>
> do you care about logical processors only,
> or do you also care if the processors are HT or multi-core
> in the same package?

For this case, I only really care about logical processors.  It'd be
*nice* if the full topology were available, but it's not required here.

> >On x86_64 in RHEL, installation uses the default kernel, which is
> >compiled with support for 16 CPUs.  We can't change that because
> >changing CONFIG_NR_CPUS changes the module ABI, and breaks
> >modules built
> >by our ISVs.  But on systems with more CPUs than that, our users are ok
> >with us breaking that ABI to use more CPUs, as long as it does not
> >effect systems with 16 or fewer processors.  So we need to probe the
> >number of processors and install the appropriate kernel.
> >
> >I've got code to read the ACPI tables from userland right now, but it
> >isn't terribly reliable.  Some systems lock up if you read the tables
> >while X is running, and some systems sometimes give erroneous data.  In
> >both cases, it seems the earlier you read the tables the better, and of
> >course the kernel reads them while it's still only got 1 CPU running,
> >which is the best possible case.  The kernel hasn't triggered
> >any of the
> >failures we've seen, and since it already has to read the tables, this
> >would be the best place for userland to get that data.
>
> This makes zero sense to me.
> Except for very very large systems the enumerate the processors in the
> DSDT
> (eg altix with > 256),
> the processors are enumerated in the MADT, which is completely static.

Yeah, that's what I'd expect as well.

> In no way should dumping
> it and parsing it in user-space have any effect on the integrity
> of the system.

So I've seen it produce less than positive results on machines from 3
vendors.  2 of the vendors are shipping one particular (rather old)
video card, which seems to be a supporting condition of the failure.  On
these machines, reading the ACPI tables while running X on the currently
active virtual terminal causes a hard lockup.  Both of those vendors are
shipping exactly the same video card, but I've seen machines with that
card that didn't fail as well.

The other vendor's hardware _sometimes_ has bad data in the XSDT if
you've got more than 1G of ram, and I've now got workarounds in my
parser for it -- but the kernel doesn't have those, and it works just
fine.  Dunno why this is happening, but the BIOS guys at that vendor are
looking into it.  Just FWIW, acpidump has the same failure as the code
I've got (both were hacked up from the kernel code) -- on my 4G box it
tries to read 4026571728 bytes at 0x2b858abbd0 , which is clearly bogus.
But when the kernel is parsing the tables, it's getting the right data.
I really have no idea what's happening on that hardware.  I suspect a
bus analyzer is needed to tell for sure what's going on.

> in pmtools, acpidump does this, and the madt utility below --
> a rip-off of the kernel parsing code -- looks at it:
>
> http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/utils/
>
> There is no reason you couldn't combine them into a single
> utility to answer the question that you are asking.
> It requires 0 kernel support, and doesn't even require
> running in ACPI mode.

Yeah, this is basically what I did (but before I knew you'd written this
utility).  I still don't think it's the best idea -- poking around
in /dev/mem is ugly and bug-prone.  Doing this probe in userland means
we've got two sets of code to parse the same thing, which pretty much
always leads to bug fixes that fail to be applied to both sets of code.
So that means I've essentially got to track changes to what the kernel
parsing code (or some library-ized version of pmtools) in order to get
bug fixes.  This is a maintenance nightmare!

--
  Peter

-