Re: Failed resuming IDE from S3 on Abit NF7 (nForce2)

Hello Luming,

well, I've tried your patch and it work, - sort of. The system resumes from S3 now, but the generic ide driver seems to be DMA-less. This is of course a no go solution. I've also tried the amd74xx driver, and this one is running into a time out, and comes back after a while also without DMA. Setting DMA afterward doesn't work anymore. Is it possible to apply your patch into the amd74xx driver somehow?

And a very strange situation I do also have here. I've compiled the kernel without framebuffer (otherwise it doesn't work at all), then I've accidentaly booted the system with the following kernel parameters:
 "vga=0x317 screen=1024x768 splash root=/dev/hda1 init=/bin/bash"
The result was a blank screen, because I do not have a framebuffer. Now you perhaps begin to wonder, why do I mention that here? Well, this kernel parameters are my only possibility to S3 my system! When I leave out "vga=0x317 screen=1024x768" my keyboard is instantly dead after S3. In other words: I can only S3 the box with a black screen, and have to ssh into the box from another mashine. How can it be, that booting the box in text mode ( videomode 3 ) S3 doesn't work at all?

btw: I can't use vbetool (v5.1) to restore the video mode either. Here is the result:

 #root@(none):~# vbetool vbestate save
 #Get video state buffer size failed
 #Allocated buffer at 0x11010 (base is 0x0)
 #ES: 0x1101 EBX: 0x0000
 #Save video state failed

It seems that it doesn't work with radeon cards. I've tried this with a Radeon 9200 (RV280), Radeon 9550 SE (RV350) and an nVidia TI4200. Only the last one could save the state correctly. Perhapt the internet is full of warnigs and signs saying: "vbetool doesn't work with Radeon", and I was only to stupid to use google the right way ;-)

Three weeks ago, I said "Hi, let's try the S3 stuff, could be fun". Now I am lucky to S3 the box with a black screen, and my only wish is to have DMA working also, well a working display would be the suger on the top of it. ;-)

I feel like beeing in the wrong movie, and it makes me more and more wonder why all things I try do not work the way they should. Never the less, thank you very much for your support, and I certainly won't give up. Now it's a challange! ;-)

Thanks and bye

-