Re: To extend the feature of vfio-mdev

On 23/10/17 06:18, Kenneth Lee wrote:

>>> Maybe I misunderstand this. But the IOMMU hardware, such as SMMU for ARM,
>>> support multiple page table and is referred by something like ASID. If we should
>>> support it in Linux, iommu_domain should be the best choice (no matter you call
>>> it cookie or id or something else). Or where you can get a object referring to it?
>>
>> For PASID, a PASID is unique only within the requester ID.  I don't
>> know of anything equivalent to your ASID within PCIe.
>>

> As my understanding to the ARM Spec:
>
> 	PCIE[PASID]=ARM_SMMU[ASID]=ARM_SMMU[SubstreamID],
> 	PCIE[RequestID]=ARM_SMMU[StreamID]

In the SMMUv3 spec, the PASID is dissociated from the ASID. We set the
ASID in the context descriptor indexed by PASID, which provides more
flexibility when the CPU's ASID capacity and endpoint's PASID capacity differ.

> For ARM SMMU, the Stream ID is used to index a Context Descriptors
> Table while and Sub-stream ID is used to index a Descriptor which refer
> to a general page table in the same format as MMU.
>
> So both RequestID and PASID uniquely identify a address space. Then
> every iommu-enabled device can service more than one user process at the
> same time.
>
> So the IOMMU should support more than one page table, which in turn
> should be added to somewhere in Linux. If the iommu_domain refer to one
> address space, the iommu driver should accept more than one
> iommu_domain.

The current design choice is to have multiple address space per
iommu_domain (and one PASID table per domain). It fits better with
existing IOMMU and VFIO APIs.

Thanks,
Jean