Re: Restore or drop the i286 protected mode ?

FYI, the 286pmode code pre-dates the first CVS commit from 1998-09-12 and none of the code has developer attribution. Something tells me that there are no toes to step upon 21 years later. I'm strongly in favor of a 286-only LOADALL-based extension, perhaps implemented as RAM-based swap. The disadvantage would be that 8086 limits would still be in place on a per-process basis, but the big advantage is that we won't need to write hardware-specific disk controller drivers (and routines to discover them!) that we don't have anyway and probably can't get datasheets for. Protected mode requires that the OS handle all the hardware on its own and we rely heavily on BIOS calls to do that heavy lifting because we simply don't have the drivers in the first place, plus most of the code is untested in protected mode anyway, so keeping 286pmode around makes very little sense to me.

-Jody