Re: Memory issues and USB support? (and OpenWatcom)

Hi Alan, all,

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 12:11 AM, Alan Cox <alan@llwyncelyn.cymru> wrote:
> The bigger limit is that
> for small mode you've only got 64K offsets from each segment register.

That kind of leads me to something else I wanted to ask about: I take
it the requirement to use small mode is because of the bcc compiler?
I saw various mentions of looking at using OpenWatcom in the past
(e.g. http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-8086/msg00417.html), and I
didn't see these reach any showstoppers or anyone saying it was a
terrible idea, nor success.  Is moving to OpenWatcom something that
would be welcome, so long as it was truly an improvement (and didn't
require performing compiles on DOS :) )?

> In the Linux 8086 case the big problem is the kernel stack for each
> process comes from that 64K.

On entry to the kernel, couldn't one change SS:SP to point to some
other memory area?  It looks like the parameters to system calls are
in registers rather than on the stack.  Is it just a case of not
having done this extra work of managing more bits of memory yet, or is
there an architectural limitation here?

Apologies if any of the above are FAQs!

>> As it is, with LIM EMS
>> 3.2, even if you can only map in a single 64KB page at a time, you
>> could at least do that for some of their memory.  I guess you also get
>> some memory protection from this, right?
>
> Not a lot no. Most of this comes in with later processors.

I was kind of thinking that a process whose pages are in EMS are
unlikely to get corrupted by a process running off the end of an
array.  I realise that I shouldn't have used the term "memory
protection" though!

Thanks,
David