Re: ls not working

I cannot see how your comment could help in the reported case  ?

In this case, QEMU is used "out of the box", and under the standard
Ubuntu distro, is configured to use KVM, not as a pure software
emulator.

It is known that running such configuration fails if in turn running
in a VM, here VirtualBox. Just have a look to the VB forum.

So my suggestion is to NOT stack two VMs in default configuration (or
to reconfigure QEMU to run only in userspace), and run ELKS directly
in VB (QEMU and VB both emulate a very similar VM by default).

MFLD