Re: We have a whole new ton of goodies to investigate...

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 19:10:05 +0200
MFLD <mfld.fr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Started to have a look to that huge stuff (not really sorted...), but
> could you please explain the idea you have in mind ? Is this a suggest
> to replace the DEV86 toolchain by something else ?

At least the compiler. The Coherent compiler is an ANSI C compiler with a
reasonably good optimiser on it. The tree seems to have versions for
8086, 80286 (protected mode included) and 80386 (which is probably not
useful)

> By the way, for the background, could you also tell what is the
> toolchain you target for Fuzix on 8080/Z80 ?

Z80 uses SDCC. I kep a couple of patches on top, one for compactness
which sdcc has now partially adopted, the other of which adds support for
banked binaries.

6502 uses cc65

6809, 68000 use gcc

8086 I did a test build of the core with bcc, but would probably use the
coherent compiler eventually if it did 8086. Not sure there is that much
point doing 8086, fixing the dumber bits ELKS inherited from 32bit Linux
would probably shrink it down to the point the size change wasn't that
big a deal.

Alan