Re: ELKS on Wikipedia needs editing

Pushing that init code into a separate function with no other changes will only add the overhead of the function call with no benefit. Remember that bcc is not a good compiler by modern standards (it's an ancient K&R C compiler with an ANSI prototype acceptance routine available and that performs limited optimizations) and it won't inline the function like gcc would, it'll just add bloat.

When we get a compiler that is smarter, we can write more "proper" C code. For now some kernel configs already exceed the allowed 64K text segment size, so better to avoid such refactoring for now. There are many other places that need work more desperately. Try logging in as an invalid user at a login: prompt and login will never log in ever again, for example.