Re: SDCC porting feasibility study, part 1: the assembler

On 02/27/12 05:05, Gábor Lénárt wrote:
Re,

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 06:18:55PM -0600, Brad Normand wrote:
I've started looking at SDCC to try and get an idea how easy it is to
port this to target 8086.

Maybe a bit off-topic, but:

Hmm, I had a bad experience with SDCC with Z80 as target. Maybe I was
not so smart, but I couldn't make it emit RODATA like stuff, it just generated
Z80 code (!) to store data, instead of just the data.

I am contemplating writing a new toolchain from the ground up at this point. I'm rapidly learning that open source C toolchains are in short supply, and the ones that exist either (A) don't target 8086 at all, (B) are not documented well enough (or clearly enough) for a newcomer to add support, (C) output things in ways that are undesired, or (D) are so complex that all ye who enter there abandon all hope, specifically thinking of gcc. Particularly with smaller CPUs than 8086, it seems C compilers are ill-suited. I am thinking of the 6502, of which many systems exist with massive (for a 64K address space) amounts of bank-switched RAM; its minimal amount of 8-bit registers and interesting addressing modes make it hard to compile good code for from a language like C. The 65816 being the 16-bit variant makes it highly desirable to port ELKS to (wouldn't it be nice to have ELKS working on the Apple IIgs?)

Maybe what we need to be doing is making a list of the features that we need a compiler to support, rather than taking each one in turn and trying to jam the pegs in the holes?

Jody Bruchon