Re: Kernel size over 64K: what is needed, how to implement?

On 2/20/12, Alan Carvalho de Assis <acassis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> TBH, the easiest approach to using Open Watcom would probably be to
>> retool entirely for it: produce ELKS executables and a kernel image
>> directly from their linker. At least ELKS doesn't have any shared
>> library horrors to deal with, which means that the output files are
>> fairly simple. No idea whether it's actually possible, though.
>>

> I think Open Watcom is a good option, but it should be much effort to
> make ELKS compile with it and at end of day we will be limited to only
> microprocessors supported by Open Watcom.
>
> We could take on look on GCC port for 8086, you could find more
> information about it on this mailing list archive. In fact those GCC
> patch for 8086 were applied to GCC mainline, but few time after that
> they were removed.

A simpler path is to use the utility to convert from *.exe to elks executable:

http://www.alfonsomartone.itb.it/fhlvnr.html

The suggestion is to use watcom to produce exe files and use the
tcc4elks utility
to convert to elks executables. Its necessary to:

  1. Port the utility to linux

  2. Create the c library compiling libc from bcc using open watcom.

Probably its convenient to host the utility under the tools directory
of elks. This
approach is limited to small memory model. With respect to the kernel,
probably will
be necessary to write a similar utility.

Juan