Re: [ELKS] Should we resume ELKS development?

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 4:53 AM, Mario Frasca <mfrasca@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2011-0510 14:44:19, Harley Laue wrote:
>> jody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> > I have taken the liberty of downloading as much ELKS-related code and
>> > materials as possible, and I am prepared to set up a Git repository for
>> > ELKS if enough interest in such a thing exists.
>>
>> Personally I did a git cvsimport almost two years ago (not much really
>> came from that though), but an official Git repo for some of the
>> current CVS trees would be even more ideal :)
>>
>> > Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone once
>> > more.
>> > Jody Bruchon
>
> hi here,
> I'm an old-time contributor to parts of ELKS.  not the kernel, though.
> Harley, when you say git, you don't mean github?
> (I like git and the 'fork' freedom it gives, and I like github).
> I see this one on sourceforge:
> git://elks.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/elks/elks

It was just a personal clone on my personal server.

> as on github, one just needs an account to start a own fork.

Honestly, I think Github and Gitorious handle Git repos much better
than Sourceforge if you have a project which might get enough interest
to branch out. Last I checked, sourceforge didn't have anything
similar to the "fork" feature these services have.

> sounds VERY useful, and as for "official", I would let practice show
> which is the leading line.  a few years ago some old contributors also
> tried to revive the project, but after some discussion somehow we all
> dropped the idea.  maybe had to do with difficulty to get write access
> to the repository, I can't remember.  had git existed at the time,
> maybe things could have moved better.  let's see who is still around!
> my PPC640 is still waiting (but diskettes have become rare)!  :)

Hopefully this new discussion will pique some peoples' interest to
take up work on the project again. The ability to collaborate and
create your own branches/forks may help (or may not, but it couldn't
hurt right?) :)