Re: [ELKS] Should we resume ELKS development?

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 1:51 AM, jody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<jody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings, everyone. As you may be aware, a long time ago I was "handed the
> keys" to the ELKS project.  I'd like to discuss the possibility of continuing
> development.
>
> I have seen a reference to the RTOS "NuttX" and discovered an exchange in which
> Gregory Nutt indicated ELKS and NuttX were too different in their goals.
> Additionally, NuttX has no i86 port, and as we all know, the hardest steps are
> usually the first ones.  Because of these factors, I am hesitant to say "abandon
> ELKS and develop NuttX instead."  I am, however, left with the question of
> duplicated efforts: what operating systems exist that do the same general thing
> as ELKS, and how much overlap is there?  How "far" are they, in terms of overall
> usefulness?
>
> I'm also becoming curious about what it takes to retarget the bcc compiler for
> other 8-bit and 16-bit processors (i.e. MOS 6502/65816, Zilog Z80/Z8000,
> Motorola 6800/68000), particularly since there is evidence in the current Dev86
> bcc source code where the original compiler supported a Motorola 6809 target
> that has been subsequently removed.  While ELKS is currently very i86-specific,
> it could prove very beneficial to open up the ability to target more platforms.
>
> Finally, I'd like to ask everyone who still reads this list: considering it is
> the year 2011, and 8086 machines were superseded more than 20 years ago, should
> ELKS development continue at all, and if so, what direction should it take?
> (The retargeting suggestion is part of this question.)
>
> I have taken the liberty of downloading as much ELKS-related code and materials
> as possible, and I am prepared to set up a Git repository for ELKS if enough
> interest in such a thing exists.
>
> Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone once more.
>
> Jody Bruchon
> --

Hello!
Let's let ELKS continue in its present state for a while longer. In
all actuality 8086 based systems still turn up. For example those
crazy people at Microsoft still sell DOS, for embedded uses only as it
happens, but it is still there.

Which is a fact which I commented on at an event held at their NYC
offices last month, and got awarded a grouchy and bored XBOX360 for my
comments. (They announced the roll out of the seventh version of
Windows Embedded at it.)

The subject also surfaced at an event held at their NJ offices about a
year earlier.

I've been auditing an embedded version of DOS from a now defunct
company for the past year and while I am making no progress it happens
that I am very close to assembling a target for it.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@xxxxxxxxx