linux-8086 port to Altair

I have an Altair 8800 with an 8088 processor card. The Altair came with an 8080 in 75, however later on CompuPro offered an 8085/8088 dual processor card.

This port would be a project for the future when I have more free time to focus on "Shock Value" projects. ;) Wouldn't it be neat? :)

The CPU card has an on board latch to support 16MB using 16 1MB pages. I'm not sure if the current kernel would support page swamping, however 1MB should be enough to play around with.

I'm currently finishing off other more vintage parts of my Altair Kit project at http://www.altairkit.com. One of them is an open source "SuperAltair" card that will offer 1MB SRAM, Ethernet, ADM3 emulator, 512k flash, power on reset, power on jump, and IDE interface.

With only the SuperAltair card and the 8088 processor card it seems a full blown 8088-8MHz linux computer would be possible.

Any thoughts about this? I don't imagine a port would be too hard at all. Just reprogram it to use a 6850 UART for the terminal, use different I/O addresses for the IDE, and read bootstrap the kernel from ROM.

Grant

-