Re: Driver support for Linux

Cary,

RE: > with USB modem attached, system crashs (with driver binary
packages installed).
By binary do you mean the sl-modem-source.deb + sl-modem-daemon
packages installed,
or are you refering to just the  sl-modem-daemon package.

Under a Microsoft boot, get the USB ID information of the modem.

Under Linux without the modem attached,
$ sudo modprobe -r lsusb
$ sudo modprobe lsusb
$ dmesg > dmesg.txt
and copy out any cogent messages near the end.

 Next unload as many modules as possible.
The goal is to identify whether a crash can be thus be avoided when
the modem is later attached.
So do:
$ lsmod
from the top of the list down, one at a time try:
$ sudo modprobe -r driverName

Below is the list of actions which act on my particular hardware (a
MacBook). Your System will be different.
After as many have been removed as possible, pray and attach the modem.
If it doesn't crash, you can try adding modules back one at a time,
until a crash
Thus the conflict may be better localized.

MarvS
=======
sudo modprobe -r joydev
sudo modprobe -r wl