Re: pppd and DNS [WAS:Driver for 536ep-Modem does not compile]

Dear Jacques,

I tried your suggestions:

I put usepeerdns into /etc/ppp/options, I remove the ethernet-cable, I do $wvdial with Auto DNS = yes in /etc/wvdial.conf, and obtain

--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Wed Feb 29 17:38:23 2012
--> Pid of pppd: 8823
--> Using interface ppp0
--> local  IP address 212.144.133.137
--> remote IP address 145.253.1.100
--> primary   DNS address 195.50.140.248
--> secondary DNS address 145.253.2.203
--> Script /etc/ppp/ip-up run successful
--> Default route Ok.
--> warning, can't find address for `www.suse.de`
--> warning, address lookup does not work
--> Nameserver (DNS) failure, the connection may not work.

and no throughput through the connection. The search for www.suse.de is a DNS-check built into wvdial by SUSE. Even if I remove /etc/resolv.conf it is immediately restored by the NetworkManager with the old entries:

search localdomain site
nameserver 192.168.0.1

(the DNS of my DSL). Only if I replace those entries with a static nameserver, then I get a working connection with wvdial. You said the other day, that your resolv.conf for ppp sits in /var/run/ppp, but such a directory does not exist in SUSE 11.4, and if I create it, it has no effect. A search for other resolv.conf files on my system showed me 1) a file /var/run/ppp_resolv.conf.ppp0 which contains the above DNS adresses:

nameserver 195.50.140.248
nameserver 145.253.2.203

If I add a valid DNS address to this file instead of /etc/resolv.conf it is ignored, and still no working connection.

2) and a file /var/adm/netconfig/md5/etc/resolv.conf which contains

#^###
f40cb6e6e9d7c60cead0424139a8722a  -

I have the same impression as Ludwig that this is a SUSE-issue.

Sincerely
Wolfgang