Re: which driver for this modem

Kirsten,

Download the package I referenced and follow the instructions given.
If you encounter difficulties, please reply back to list as more
people can see your message and try to help find a way to get the
driver working.

You may get a generic package and build it.  Instructions are ther in
Conexant/Linuxant site:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/archive/hsfmodem-7.80.02.06full/hsfmodem_7.80.02.06full_i386.deb.zip

METHOD B: DEBIAN PACKAGE (*.deb)
If you have obtained the driver package in DEBIAN format:

1. install the package with "dpkg -i hsfmodem_{version}_{arch}.deb",
if apt-get or some other tool hasn't already done it for you.

2. if necessary, run "hsfconfig" to complete the installation, enter
license information, or to change your modem's configuration.

If you need to rebuild the Debian generic package from source, you can
get the TAR package, and from the top directory run: "make debdist". A
pre-compiled DEB package for the currently running kernel can be built
using "make debprecomp" instead.

Documentation is here as it was copied from page below:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/install.php

Regards,

Antonio

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Kirsten Winter <kirsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>>> 20:        941          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb2, HDA Intel
>>> --- Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 00:1b.0 ----
>>> [  603.060124] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> GSI 21 (level, low)
>>> ->
>>> IRQ 20
>>> [  603.060146] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64
>>>

>>> ===== Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) diagnostics =====
>>> The ALSA packages provide audio support and also drivers for some modems.
>>> ALSA diagnostics are written during bootup to /proc/asound/ folders.
>>>
>>> The modem cards detected by "aplay -l"  are: None
>>>

>>> The /proc/asound/pcm file reports:
>>> -----------------------
>>> 00-01: STAC92xx Digital : STAC92xx Digital : playback 1 : capture 1
>>> 00-00: STAC92xx Analog : STAC92xx Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
>>>
>>> about /proc/asound/cards:
>>> ------------------------
>>> 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>>>                    HDA Intel at 0xefebc000 irq 20
>>>
>>> PCI slot 00:1b.0 has a High Definition Audio Card
>>> The drivers are in the kernel modules tree at:
>>>
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.24-26-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
>>>
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
>>>
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.24-21-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
>>>
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.24-27-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
>>>
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.22-15-generic/ubuntu/media/snd-hda-intel/snd-hda-intel.ko
>>>
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.24-25-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
>>>
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.24-22-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
>>>
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.24-23-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
>>>
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.24-24-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
>>>
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.24-28-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
>>> The modem codec file for the HDA card is: /proc/asound/card0/codec#1
>>> Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa
>>> Address: 1
>>> Vendor Id: 0x14f12bfa
>>> Subsystem Id: 0x14f100c3
>>> Revision Id: 0x90000
>>> Modem Function Group: 0x2
>>>
>>> The audio card hosts a softmodem chip:  0x14f12bfa
>>>
>>> 14f1 is the Conexant Vendor ID, and 0x14f12bfa a softmodem chipset.
>>> Get a hsfmodem package through http://www.linuxant.com
>>>
>>> If not a Conexant modem, the driver hsfmodem-drivers with its dependent
>>> drivers:
>>>
>>> ----------
>>> provide audio + modem support with the modem chip residing on the
>>> subsystem.
>>> Any particular card can host any one of several soft modem chips.
>>>
>>> === Finished firmware and bootup diagnostics, next deducing cogent
>>> software.
>>> ===
>>>
>>> Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:1b.0:
>>>      Modem chipset  detected on
>>> NAME="Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G "
>>> CLASS=0403
>>> PCIDEV=8086:27d8
>>> SUBSYS=1028:01c2
>>> IRQ=20
>>> HDA2=00:1b.0
>>> SOFT=8086:27d8.HDA
>>> CodecDiagnosed=Conexant_
>>> HDAchipVendorID=14f1
>>> CHIP=0x14f12bfa
>>> CodecClass=14f1
>>> IDENT=hsfmodem
> [...]
>>> "Generic packages with source" near the bottom of the page must be used.
>>> Downloaded packages must be moved into the Linux partition (home folder
>>> is
>>> OK)
>>> and unzipped with:
>>>      unzip hsf*.zip
>>> The installation command for a .deb suffic packages is, with root/adm
>>> permission:
>>>  sudo dpkg -i hsf*.deb
>>> while for .rpm suffix it is, with:
>>>  rpm -i hsf*.rpm
>>> Read DOCs/Conexant.txt
>>>
>>> Writing DOCs/Conexant.txt
>>>

>>> Completed candidate modem analyses.
>>>
>>> The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udev
>>>
>>> Versions adequately match for the compiler installed: 4.2.4
>>>           and the compiler used in kernel assembly: 4.2.4
>>>

>>> Minimal compiling resources appear complete:
>>>  make utility - /usr/bin/make
>>>  Compiler version 4.2
>>>  linuc_headers base folder /lib/modules/2.6.24-28-generic/build
>>>
>>> However some compilations and executable functions may need additional
>>> files,
>>> in the FileNames.h (so called kernel "h"eaders) collection installed in
>>>  /usr/include/ .
>>> For martian_modem, additional required packages are needed. The also
>>> required headers of package libc6 are commonly installed by default.
>>> Compiling hsfmodem drivers does require linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev
>>> packages, for kernels 2.6.24 and later versions.
>>> In not included on your install CD, search for them at
>>> http://packages.ubuntu.com
>>> or comparable Repository for other Linux distros.
>>> When compiling ALSA drivers, the utility "patch" will also be needed.
>>>

>>> If a driver compilation fails, with message including some lack of some
>>> FileName.h (stdio.h for example), then
>>> Some additional kernel-header files need installation to /usr/include.
>>> The
>>> minimal additional packages are libc6-dev
>>> and any of its dependents, under Ubuntu linux-libc-dev
>>>
>>> If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
>>> $  apt-get update
>>> $  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
>>> will install needed packages.
>>> For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to
>>> display the needed package list:
>>>
>>> Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
>>> Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
>>> they can be installed alltogether with:
>>> $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>>>

>>> Checking pppd properties:
>>>      -rwsr-xr-- 1 root dip 269256 2007-10-05 05:57 /usr/sbin/pppd
>>>
>>> In case of an "error 17" "serial loopback" problem, see:
>>>  http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html
>>>
>>> To enable dialout without Root permission do:
>>>      $ su - root  (not for Ubuntu)
>>>      sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
>>> or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
>>>      sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
>>>
>>> Checking settings of:   /etc/ppp/options
>>> crtscts
>>> lock
>>> hide-password
>>> modem