Re: How to install modem

Christian,

Yes you have a usb agere modem that has not yet been confirmed to
work.  But you have a modem that can work, see part of scanModem the
motorola modem supported by slmodemd code:

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 01:07.0:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Modem: Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem "
CLASS=0703
PCIDEV=1057:3052
SUBSYS=1057:3020
IRQ=17
HDA2=00:06.1
IDENT=slamr

 For candidate modem in:  01:07.0
   0703 Modem: Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem
      Primary device ID:  1057:3052
 Support type needed or chipset:	slamr

 1057:3052 has a Motorola chipset, poorly supported by Motorola itself
 However Zello discovered that drivers written to support Smartlink
modems do support the 1057:3052 chipset!!
 It sufficed to add 1057:3052 to the list of modem cards recognized by
the Smartlink slamr driver.
 There is a ungrab-winmodem driver used in conjunction with slamr,
which must have 1057:3052
 similarly added. See messages from Zello:
 	http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-seventh/msg00846.html
 	http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-seventh/msg00848.html
 and Alvaro Aguirre about the ungrab-winmodem fix:
	http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-seventh/msg00990.html
 For general guidance on ungrab-winmodem + slamr usage, read the
DOCs/Smartlink.txt

There is a package sl-modem-source providing a source code the modem driver  ,
If can be searched for at http://pacakge.ubuntu.com.  After
downloading install under Linux with:
  $ sudo dpkg -i sl*.deb
If DKMS support installed, driver updates with kernel updates will be
automatically done.

The modem is supported by the Smartlink
plus the slmodemd helper utility.  Read the
DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

Regards,

Antonio