Re: Fw: Progress !

Sorry Patrick,

I am without internet connection during the day and I just got home
from work.  The driver from linuxant should work, but there are some
that require the alsa-driver package from linuxant.

http://www.linuxant.com/alsa-driver/archive/alsa-driver-linuxant-1.0.23.0/alsa-driver-linuxant-1.0.23.0-1.noarch.rpm.zip
If you did manually install alsa-driver with the patch above, a reboot
of the machine will also be required before installing the HSF driver.

Then the other driver:
METHOD A: BINARY RPM PACKAGE (*.{arch}.rpm)
If you have obtained the driver package in RPM format:

1. install the rpm with "rpm -i hsfmodem-{version}.{arch}.rpm"

2. if necessary, run "hsfconfig" to complete the installation, enter
license information, or to change your modem's configuration.

If you need to rebuild the generic RPM from source, you can get the
TAR package and run: "rpmbuild -tb hsfmodem-{version}.tar.gz" (if
rpmbuild is not found, you might have to install the rpm-build package
or if you have an older RPM version, try "rpm --rebuild ..."). If you
want a pre-compiled package for the currently running kernel, you can
try "make rpmprecomp" in the top directory.

Source:
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/install.php

Then if the driver does not work, you are to do the following:
AFTER INSTALLATION
If an error occurred during installation, please see the sections
'BUGS' and 'REPORTING PROBLEMS' below.

Once the modem is installed and configured, you may access it as
/dev/ttySHSF0. Additionally, you can use it via the symbolic link
/dev/modem (equivalent to ttySHSF0). If you have more than one HSF
modem, the second will be available as /dev/ttySHSF1, the third as
/dev/ttySHSF2 and so forth.

Please review the permissions on the device nodes with "ls -l" to
ensure that they are adequate for your system.

The "hsfconfig" command can be used to change certain modem
configuration options or recompile (generic packages only) the kernel
modules after installation. Run "hsfconfig --help" for usage
information.

You have already installed it(have done all that work, but it is not
working), I don't know how to advise in such situations.  The only
thing that occurs to me, is that you run

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/

The thing that makes me wonder, is that they recommend installing the
alsa-driver package that they built for

/*
Note to Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04), Hardy (8.04) and SUSE (11.0, 11.1) users
with HDA modems: Installing the alsa-driver-linuxant  package is
necessary before installing this driver.
*/

I don't see them mentioning Fedora 12/Fedora 13.  Why do they all of a
sudden require it?

You would need to ask them for help.  Run the dump command, output of
dmesg to see that is happening and see if they can help.

Also, since your machine is a DELL you are entitled to a free Driver.
Check the Conexant Readme to see how you can get the free driver.

Regards,

Antonio