Re: sl-modem 2.9.11-20100613 ?

Ahmed,

BP was having trouble connecting too many NO CARRIER:

=====
THREAD: JP, USA, Kernel 2.6.32-21-generic, wvdial No Carrier

  BP
 <bottomless.pete@xxxxxxxxx>    Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:37 PM
   To: discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Delete | Show original
   Greetings.

 I have recently upgraded from Ubuntu 8.10 x86 to the newest LTS,
 10.04 x86 (w/ kernel 2.6.32-21) and my modem will no longer connect.
 When I run wvdial to establish a connection, it verifies the
 initialization of the modem, but cannot/will not find a carrier,
 cycling through dial attempts until I manually kill the process. This
 happens with or without "Carrier Check = no" enabled in my wvdial.conf
 file.

 I have both distros on separate partitions on the same hardware, and
 the 8.10 version has no trouble detecting a carrier, so I am fairly
 certain it is not a hardware/line issue.

 I installed the daemon and drivers via the distro package of
 sl-modem-daemon, slmodem-2.9.11-20100106.tar.gz (since there is no
 pre-compiled slamr package for my kernel version as of yet), as well
 as installing ungrab-winmodem-20090116.tar.gz. And I have followed the
 given setup and troubleshooting steps in those installation packages,
 but no joy.

 Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

========

Marv sent him the new slmodem code and the result was:

========
Greetings.

 The June 13th version works like a charm. Thank you!

 -- JP

========

Marv also let him know about the sl-modem-source:

========

BP

 There is a package sl-modem-source:
  This package contains source code for the low-level drivers for the
  software modems produced by Smart Link Ltd. It supports PCI and USB models.
  .
  In addition to this package, you will need the package sl-modem-daemon
  which implements the application part of the driver.
  .
  Module packages can be built for the custom kernel package either by hand or
  using DKMS.
 --------
 As you install it, the DKMS utility already on your System will
 register its installation.
 Subsequently during booting with upgrade kernels, compiling and
 installation of ungrab-winmodem and slamr will be automated.

 MarvS

========

Does that help a but?

Regards,