PCI Modem (apparently snd_via82xx_modem) cannot be accessed

Hello,

I have an Packard Bell EasyNote 1280 with a built in modem. It has Ubuntu 9.10 installed on it.

The scanModem script told me:

 Potentially useful modem drivers now loaded are:
   snd_via82xx_modem

After I worked with some guides (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto ) it showed me the following:

 Potentially useful modem drivers now loaded are:
   snd_via82xx_modem       slamr

I followed the instructions on that linked guide and I thought that I would have installed the driver correctly, Ubuntu tells me that a „SmartLink HAMR5600,SMARTPCI56/561 based modem driver“ is active and in use. So I would think that the modem does work somehow.

Then I used gnome-ppp to dial and set up number, user and pass, but it tells me that /dev/modem (which is a link to /dev/ttySL0) does not exist. /dev/ttySL0 dies not exist as well—says gnome-ppp. When I try to use /dev/ttyS0 it just gives me an IO-Error.

It just tells me that no modem was detected.

What do I have to do?

Thanks for your time and greetings from Germany,

Martin