Re: Agere working for 10-15 minutes on HP Compaq 6710b

On 7 June 2010 18:28, Timur Gadzo <gtimur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello

G'day,

> According to ModemData attached here, I downloaded and installed
> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/agrsm-11c11040_20091225_i386.deb
> on my HP Compaq 6710b with Ubuntu 10.04, kernel 2.6.32-22-generic.
> Modem started to work, but it only works for about 10-15 minutes and
> than it disconnects. Redial does not work, I have to restart laptop.

Are you actively using the modem during that time? It could be your
ISP disconnecting an idle user. If that's the case, and you want to
keep the connection alive, just do a little network activity
occasionally. E.g., use cron to ping your ISP's homepage (or some
other reliable site) once every 5 minutes.

Also, it's usually not necessary to reboot the system unless you
change the kernel. Unloading and reloading the appropriate modules
should be enough to reactivate the modem:
$ sudo rmmod agrserial
$ sudo rmmod agrmodem
$ sudo modprobe agrmodem
$ sudo modprobe agrserial

Note, the order is important in those commands: agrserial runs on top
of agrmodem.

--
Joshua Crawford ... http://geocities.com/mortarn

http://www.rewardscentral.com.au/Join/Default.aspx?refer=mortarn