Re: John Bubon, USA, kernel 2.6.28-18-generic

John,

scanModem reports that your modem is supported by
SLMODEMD-gcc4.4.tar.gz and any kernel upgrade it should continue
working since this SLMODEMD variant does not depend on kernel module
slamr.ko.  You should have no difficulties.  Try it out and report
back. Follow the instructions provided by scanModem

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:1b.0:
        Modem chipset  detected on
 NAME="Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G "
 CLASS=0403
 PCIDEV=8086:27d8
 SUBSYS=107b:0366
 IRQ=22
 HDA2=00:1b.0
 SOFT=8086:27d8.HDA
 HDAchipVendorID=1057
 CHIP=0x10573057
 IDENT=slmodemd
 SLMODEMD_DEVICE=hw:0,6
 Driver=snd-hda-intel

  For candidate modem in:  00:1b.0
   0403 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G
      Primary device ID:  8086:27d8
    Subsystem PCI_id  107b:0366
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics: 0x10573057
                               from    Archives:
                        The HDA card softmodem chip is 0x10573057

 Support type needed or chipset: slmodemd supporting the snd-hda-intel
audio+modem driver

  An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:  snd-hda-intel
  provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
  For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
  complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:  slmodemd

  Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
  the package SLMODEMD_gcc4.3_alsa1.0.18.tar.gz having a compiled
slmodemd. Unpack under Linux with:
        $ tar zxf SLMODEMD_gcc4.3_alsa1.0.18.tar.gz
  and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
        sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa hw:0,6
  reporting dynamic creation of ports:
        /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
  Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow
through guidance.

Regards,

Antonio