Re: Winmodem

There is a sad history from my perspective concening support for
3COM/USrobotics winmodems.   Some 4-5 years ago, a 3COM rep did
contact this List, asking about the need for 3COM modem drivers for
Linux.  A few members of this List abusely responded to the 3Com
query, condemning the concept of any Linux drivers which were not
fully Open Source.  The 3Com rep dropped out of the conversation, and
thus ended any hope for 3Com sponsored winmodem drivers.

I'll just furthermore comment that all the winmodem drivers (or their
helper utilities) have some precompiled and hence Closed Source
component, which as Bjorn relates would be exceed difficult to
"reproduce".

MarvS

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Bjorn Wielens <Uniacke1@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> Typically, the problem is not a lack of willing programmers to work on
> the code... (Just look at how far we've come with the 536/7 drivers, and
> LSI/Agere modems). The problem is that manufacturers do not release the
> specifications to their hardware, and so, any potential programmer does
> not know how to "communicate" with the hardware and tell it what to do.
> While this information can be obtained through skilled hackers and
> complex reverse engineering, the skills necessary for that are even
> farther and fewer between than good programmers... and often in very
> high demand!
>
> Believe me, if someone had the resources to write a driver, they would
> have done so for the  benefit of the community.
>
> Bjorn.
>

> On 04/13/2010 08:17 AM, Aleksey wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I trust if anyone want to make Linux driver for this US Robotics (3Com)
>> winmodem it is possible.
>> For unknown reason no one want to make this driver.
>> I not very sad if modem is unsupported. But I have this modem and it
>> work under windows and I want to make it work under Linux too.
>> Has anywhere in the world the good programmer who can make a driver? I
>> want to contact that programmer.
>>
>> P.S.: Sorry for my bad English.
>>
>> ---
>> Best regards,
>> Aleksey.
>>
>> 13.04.2010 03:39, Antonio Olivares пишет:
>>> Aleksey,
>>>
>>> Sadly your Modem is unsupported under Linux :(, Read InfoGeneral.txt
>>> for alternatives.  See output directly from scanModem:
>>>
>>> Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 02:0b.0:
>>>     Modem chipset  detected on
>>> NAME="Communication controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division WinModem"
>>> CLASS=0780
>>> PCIDEV=12b9:1006
>>> SUBSYS=12b9:005d
>>> IRQ=11