Re: wvdial doesn't detect agrmodem 11c1:048c

On 15 March 2010 11:53, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> I recommended those to see that the driver was indeed loaded but did
> not go all the way with
> # lsmod | grep 'agrserial'
> and/or
> # lsmod | grep 'agrmodem'

I understand your intent. I'm merely pointing out that grep search
patterns do not work the same way as file patterns.

> I can do these and see output in my 11c1:0630 agrsm supported modem:
>
> olivares@darkstar:~$ dmesg | grep 'agr.*driver*'

Your driver has a different loading string (yours doesn't start with
"agrserial: "), so this doesn't match as it did mine.

I provided this merely as an example of how wildcards work in regex,
not as anything particularly useful.

> olivares@darkstar:~$ dmesg | grep 'agr.*'
> agrmodem: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.

All good. "grep 'agr'" (without ".*") would work just as well. Your
driver has less messages containing 'agr' than mine does.

> olivares@darkstar:~$ dmesg | grep 'agr*'
> ftrace: allocating 32587 entries in 64 pages
> highmem bounce pool size: 64 pages
> NTFS driver 2.1.29 [Flags: R/W].
> SGI XFS Quota Management subsystem
> vesafb: mode is 1024x768x8, linelength=1024, pages=3
> GDT-HA: Storage RAID Controller Driver. Version: 3.05
> 3ware Storage Controller device driver for Linux v1.26.02.002.
> 3ware 9000 Storage Controller device driver for Linux v2.26.02.013.
> Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
> usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
> USB Mass Storage support registered.
> scsi8 : usb-storage 1-8:1.0
> ACPI Warning for \_TZ_.THRM._PSL: Return Package type mismatch at
> index 0 - found [NULL Object Descriptor], expected Reference
> (20091214/nspredef-1040)
> ACPI: Expecting a [Reference] package element, found type 0
> Linux agpgart interface v0.103
> agrmodem: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
> NE 5.0 (2007-10-1)
> 5.0 NE (2007-10-01)
> usb 1-7: Product: Mass Storage
> scsi9 : usb-storage 1-7:1.0
> usb 1-7: Product: Mass Storage
> scsi10 : usb-storage 1-7:1.0
> Unloading Agere Modem Interface driver: version 2.1.80.0Red Flag 5.0 NE
> Unloading Agere Modem Controller driver: version 2.1.80-Red Flag NE 5.0
> NE 5.0 (2007-10-1)
> 5.0 NE (2007-10-01)
> olivares@darkstar:~$

This output contains a lot of 'ag', as did Robin's, but only the one
line with 'agr' - the same one which was found by the previous
command. Most of this output has nothing to do with the modem.

It matches those "Agere Modem" lines because of the 'ag' at the end of
"Flag". It doesn't match the 'Ag' of "Agere" because regex is
case-sensitive.

Getting a bit more complex, a search to find all relevant lines might
be: "grep -iE 'ag(rsm|ere)'", where '-i' means case-insensitive, '-E'
means extended regex (which allows grouping alternatives using
parentheses and pipes), and the regex itself will match patterns which
contain 'ag' followed by either 'rsm' or 'ere' (i.e., both 'agrsm' and
'agere').

0 mortarn@bruce:~$ dmesg | grep -iE 'ag(rsm|ere)'
agrsm 0000:01:0e.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
agrsm: created 1 infos
(2005-11-16)
ttyAGS3 at I/O 0x7800 (irq = 22) is a AgereModem
agrserial: Loading module Agere Modem Interface driver version
2.1.60.0.Linspire (2005-11-16)
0 mortarn@bruce:~$

> I load the driver then unload it, and load it again when I try to connect.

That output also shows you booting the computer and starting X .It
shows that you're using hardware RAID and a USB storage device; you
have quotas enabled on an XFS file system; you also use an NTFS
(windows) partition; your (text) console uses the VESA frame buffer at
1024x768 with 256 colors; and ACPI can't report temperature properly.

All of which is irrelevant to modem diagnosis.