Re: Re: Can't connect Ubuntu 8.10 to dial-up modem.

Peter,

For kernels >= 2.6.20 you need to use the latest martian code:

martian-full-20080625.tar.gz

Download it, unpack it with
$ tar -zxvf martian-full-20080625.tar.gz
$ cd martian-full-20080625
$ make all
$ sudo make install
$ sudo modprobe martian_dev
$ sudo martian_modem &

leave it running in the background.  You should see something like
/dev/ttySM0 is your port, CTRL+C to quit.  Leave it running and run

$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

this will scan for modem ports and hopefully find /dev/ttySM0 as the
modem port.  If this is the case, run
$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
edit the file remove the ";" and add your username, ISP phone number
and password and a line
"Carrier Check = no"

then try running
$ sudo wvdial

to see if you can connect.  If you can connect, but cannot browse the
numbers output by wvdial, add them to /etc/resolv.conf with the word

nameserver numbers.with.dots.in.between

you may do this by opening another terminal/tab and typing in those
numbers after you do a

$ sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf

Let us know how this goes.

Regards,