Re: Modem problem

Amit:

RE: /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
 The modem codec file for the HDA card is: /proc/asound/card0/codec#1
Codec: LSI Si3054
Address: 1
Function Id: 0x2
Vendor Id: 0x11c13026

The Agere/LSI 0x11c13026 modem chip is hosted on your Audio card subsytem
and accessed through the combined snd-hda-intel audio+modem driver,
though higher level functions are provided through the slmodemd helper
utility, installed by the sl-modem-daemon package.

You should be able recover sound by inactivating the modem with:
$ sudo /etc/initi.d/sl-modem-daemon stop

a later:
$ sudo /etc/initi.d/sl-modem-daemon start
Or manually by:
$ sudo slmodemd -c INDIA --alsa  hw:0,6

should set up with modem with creation of ports:
 /dev/ttySL0 -> /dev/pts/SomeNumber

Read the wvdial.txt for info on how to setup for a dialout.
However you need to download and install wvdial support packages first.
Start at http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/wvdial and download the
amd64 variants
Likely you only need wvdial and dependents
libuniconf4.6
 libwvstreams4.6-base
 libwvstreams4.6-extras
as others are on your System already