Re: Zeke Krahlin, USA, Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition kernel 2.6.31-14-generic

Quoting Marvin Stodolsky <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx>:

Attached USB devices are:
ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Mass Stroage Device
ID 04d9:0420 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc.
ID 1241:1603 Belkin
ID 0416:5518 Winbond Electronics Corp. 4-Port Hub
ID 064e:a103 Suyin Corp.
ID 04fc:0c25 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd
are sharing
Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
16:        225     147475   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ohci_hcd:usb3,
ohci_hcd:usb4, HDA Intel
----------
so a first option to try is detaching all these USB devices, which may
be given higher priority for resources than modem functionality.

After disconnecting all my USB devices, these two still remain:

ID 064e:a103 Suyin Corp.
ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Mass Stroage Device

All just before starting a wvdial out, from another console watch
kernel messages with:
$ sudo tail /var/log/messages &

Which gives me:

acer zeke # $ tail /var/log/messages &
[1] 4871
acer zeke # $

The messages file is empty (I had deleted it before executing the above command).

But wvdial isn't functioning:

acer Modem # wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot open /dev/ttySAGR: No such file or directory
--> Cannot open /dev/ttySAGR: No such file or directory
--> Cannot open /dev/ttySAGR: No such file or directory
acer Modem #

(I also tried it with /dev/ttyAGR3, with the same failed results.)

What happened to my Agere modem port in /dev? I have no idea. Could today's Karmic Koala update have knocked it out? (I seem to have also lost my compiz settings.)

Yeesh!

--
Ezekiel J. Krahlin