Re: Ubuntu 9.10 on Dell Inspiron 7500 for Agere Modem: Martian

James,

Since the martian_dev driver is loaded, likely all is solvable.
$ ls -l /usr/sbin/martian*
should show martain_modem  installed:
$ ls -l  /usr/sbin/martian_modem
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 645957 2010-01-21 22:55 /usr/sbin/martian_modem

If so, do:
$ martian_modem --help
explains syntax

With the driver loaded, the modem should be activated by
$ sudo martian_modem -c us
should activate the modem.

If so open another Console/TAB
$ sudo wvdialconf
should find the modem.  Edit with
$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
removing the symbols ;  < >
putting in your personal info on those lines,
and adding a line:
Carrier Check =  no

Save & Try a dialout with:
$ sudo wvdial

Report back to the List, not me directly.

MarvS