Re: ask for help configuring modem in old laptop

Jorge,

The dialer utility package WVDIAL does not appear to be installed on
your System.
For Ubuntu users, there are at the bottom of
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/
     wvdial_jaunty_i386.zip    for 32 bit systems.
 about 1 MB in size.  After downloaded and copied into your Linux partition:
$ unzip wv*.zip
Within the new folder:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
will  complete the wvdial installation
Please read Modem/DOCs/wvdial.txt for usage information.

 From  http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
 download hsfmodem-7.80.02.05full_k2.6.28_15_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
 Under Linux unpack with:
 $ unzip hsfmodem*.zip
 Then install with:
 $ sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem*.deb
 Subsequently, the modem should be found with
 $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
 Edit in your personal information with:
 $ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
 and try dialing out with:
 $ sudo wvdial.
 See DOCs/Testing.txt  for details.

For fax support you will have to buy the software key enabling full
speed and fax

from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/
get the faxing.tar.gz  for some examples.
You will have to change the port name to /dev/ttySHSF0

MarvS