Re: What next?

John,

As scanModem recommends you need to get martian-full-20080625.tar.gz
and wvdial packages:

 For candidate modem in:  02:0a.0
   0780 Communication controller: Agere Systems LT WinModem
      Primary device ID:  11c1:044e
 Support type needed or chipset:	Agere.DSP

 The modem has a Lucent/Agere/LSI Mars or Apollo DSP (digital signal
processing) chipset.
Support packages for 2.6.n kernels are at:
 http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/
Always use the most update for kernels after 2.6.20, currently
martian-full-20080625.tar.gz
For kernels 2.6.20 and less, usr martian-full-20080407.tar.gz.

 See DOCs/AgereDSP.txt for Details.

also get wvdial packages :

The dialer utility package WVDIAL does not appear to be installed on
your System.
For Ubuntu Jaunty users, there are at the bottom of
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/:
     wvdial_jaunty_amd64.zip   for x86_64, 64 bit bus systems.
     wvdial_jaunty_i386.zip    for 32 bit systems.
These are about 1 MB in size.  After downloaded and copied into your
Linux partition:
$ unzip wv*.zip
Within the new folder:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
will  complete the wvdial installation
Please read Modem/DOCs/wvdial.txt for usage information.

Also since Ubuntu does not include these packages, please hunt tthem
down and install them:
For martian_modem, additional required packages are needed. The also
required headers of package libc6 are commonly installed by default.
 Compiling hsfmodem drivers does require linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev
packages, for kernels 2.6.24 and later versions.
 In not included on your install CD, search for them at
http://packages.ubuntu.com
 or comparable Repository for other Linux distros.

These two:  linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev packages

install them with
$ sudo dpkg -i linux-libc-dev?.deb
and
$ sudo dpkg libc6-dev ?.deb

After installing the above packages untar the martian-full-20080625.tar.gz with
$ tar -zxvf martian-full-20080625.tar.gz
$ cd martian-full-20080625
$ make all
$ sudo make install
$ sudo modprobe martian_dev
$ sudo martian_modem

open up another terminal/shell after obtaining & installing wvdial and run

$ sudo wvdialconf /etcc/wvdial.conf

and hopefully it will find /dev/ttySM0 as the modem port.
$ suod gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
  Remove the ";" and add your username, ISP phone number and password
and a line Carrier Check = no to your wvdial.conf file save it and try
a dialout with
$ sudo wvdial

If you are able to connect but not surf, add the nameservers to
/etc/resolv.conf by opening with
$ sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf

Report back if you encounter diffuculties or have further questions.

Regards.

Antonio