Re: FrankMartin, UnitedKingdom kernel 2.6.31-15-generic [ + note for Marv]

Marv: typo in scanModem. 7.80.02.03 should be 7.80.02.05 (checked)

Frank: Take the one on the Web site hsfmodem_7.80.02.05full_k2.6.31_15_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip

Follow the instructions in ModemData.txt or if you prefer, at the Linuxant Web site for HSF modems.

My X1 is almost 5 years old now, Windows removed from the beginning, using the modem as you plan for the same reason, and it's hard to imagine what else it does for me, all in scientific computing, heavy simulations, FPGA applications, real time data acquisition. An excellent tool.

I need the modem infrequently , so I install the modem driver when I need the modem and remove it after use.

The reason is that (infrequently, even if the modem is not used) it interferes with the USB subsystem with devices such a mouse, a printer, the FPGA development board, a National Instruments multifunction DAQ, and collecting data from the FPGA using its RS-232 interface with an RS232->USB converter since the X1 comes without RS232 port.

All these extras are connected using an external hub.

So, in brief, if you machine hangs with the modem driver installed but unused, just uninstall the driver. Do not erase the .deb file after installation ...

Jacques

Frank Martin wrote:

I've recently installed Ubuntu karmic (9.10) on a Dell Latitude X1 to be used as a "netbook". Windows has gone. Wireless works fine but I want to get the modem working because an occasional location I use is dial-up only. I've installed wvdial using the synaptic pkg manager and run scanModem, see ModemData.txt attached. It suggests downloading
hsfmodem-7.80.02.02full_k2.6.31_15_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
but the website contains
hsfmodem_7.80.02.05full_k2.6.31_15_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
Please advise.  I am new to linux but used unix in the '80s.  Thanks.