Re: success in building agrsm for ubuntu karmic

webkitdev@xxxxxxx wrote:

All,

I have been able to build and load agrsm for Ubuntu 9.10 dev release (kernel 2.6.31-13-generic). I could load the kernel modules, but would like to know how to test if my modem works. I do not have a PPP dialup account as of now. Can some one please suggest on how to test this out and what features would work?

Regards,
Shaji

First thing, try wvdial
There are two steps.
After loading the module, do    sudo  wvdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
If it finds the modem, your success is great.
Then edit the file /etc/wvdial.conf

There are three lines starting with a ;  (semi colon). In these 3 lines:
Remove the ;
Remove the <
Remove the >
Modify the phone line to Phone = 1234567 but replace 1234567 by a phone number close to you so that you can hear it it rings.
Make sure that there is a line
Carrier Check = no
in the file.
Save and exit the editor.
Now, just try sudo wvdial and listen if the dialled phone number rings (no sound from the modem; be enar that phone number or ask somebody to listen for you, a friend probably.

If the dialled number rings, this is a very great step ahead.

In which country/city do you live? Needed to try to find a free service nearby.

Jacques