Why does my modem keep "dying" ?

I've been having this strange problem with my dial-up modem, which is
an ESS if anyone remembers ;-). It keeps going "dead", to explain it a
bit more, when I download something, it doesn't matter if it's a
webpage, or a file, or if I use wget, Firefox, or a GUI downloader,
the download keeps stopping. My modem stops working.

I don't disconnect, but my modem becomes completely inactive. Network
monitors show the download and upload rates drop to 0.00 . After maybe
10-30 seconds, the modem comes alive like nothing happened and
continues it's download, if the server I'm connected to hasn't kicked
me off (and to my frustration, they often do, making file downloads
and loading websites nearly impossible sometimes)

I never had these problems on Windows, so it must be a linux related
thing, but I have no idea if it's fixable, I sure have no idea what to
do with it other than live with it. On WinXP my downloads were slow
but steady. On Ubuntu it's a nightmare. I was downloading an 8mb file,
and I had to restart it and resume at least half a dozen times. Three
of those times were in the last 20kb of the file. I sure don't
understand it.

Has anyone else experienced this with their modems?