John Williams USA kernel 2.6.28-11.42-generic 11c1:0620 new agrsm package

All

Very strange.  It is some sort of permissions issue and maybe a Ubuntu bug.

John,
  Within the new agrsm code package just
$  sudo chown -R YourLoginName *
so that you own all the files.

$ gedit Makefile
go down to the section
clean:
and below
  rm -f HDA.o
add a line
  rm -f hda.o
Note that the indentations MUST be down with TAB and not spaces

Do the same in the section
distclean;

Clean up with
$ make distclean

After which
$ ls -l
shouldn't display agrmodem.ko and agrserial.ko

Next
$ make module
which should now succeed.

The curious puzzle is that if one does
$ make distclean
as before, but
$ sudo make module
Then the compile fails as you reported. I haven't had time to determine why.

Separately I'll send you an installer package with the same code,
agrsm06pci-Version.deb
If is dkms enabled, so if the dkms package is installed on your
System, all updates will be automagic

MarvS

If dkms is not installed, cd into the source folder written to
/usr/src/  following

$ sudo dpkg -i agrsm06pci*.deb
Within
$ make distclean
$ make module
should be successful.  I haven't played with the
$ sudo agrinst
Best to copy the drivers manually into the /lib/modules/ tree

The curious puzzle remains that while: