Re: ubuntu-9-0-4 driver for agere Kernel 2.6.28-11.42-generic

2009/8/23  <john31608@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Marvin;
>
> I never figured out how to unzip the compressed file from the terminal.

$ unzip ubuntu-9-0-4.zip

>  The
> response was "filename not matched".    I found you can rtclick and select
> unzip(?) and it works,  With the unzipped file in my desktop:
>

> dadisboss@MARVIN:~$ cd ~/Desktop
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~/Desktop$ cd ubuntu-9-0-4
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~/Desktop/ubuntu-9-0-4$ sudo make module
> make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/ SUBDIRS= modules
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic'
> HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
> HOSTCC scripts/basic/docproc
> HOSTCC scripts/basic/hash
> HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
> scripts/kconfig/conf.c: In function ‘conf_askvalue’:
> scripts/kconfig/conf.c:104: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fgets’,
> declared with attribute warn_unused_result
> scripts/kconfig/conf.c: In function ‘conf_choice’:
> scripts/kconfig/conf.c:306: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fgets’,
> declared with attribute warn_unused_result
> HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
> HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
> HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/conf
> scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/x86/Kconfig
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic'
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic'
> CHK include/linux/version.h
> CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
> UPD include/linux/utsrelease.h
> SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `kernel/bounds.c', needed by
> `kernel/bounds.s'. Stop.
> make[1]: *** [prepare0] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic'
> make: *** [module] Error 2

Here the compile has failed. Check that you have kernel source files
installed, not just headers.

> dadisboss@MARVIN:~/Desktop/ubuntu-9-0-4$ sudo make install
> ./agrinst
> Installing Agere Softmodem driver version 2.1.80-Red Flag NE 5.0
> copying agrmodem.ko and agrserial.ko to
> /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/kernel/drivers/char

Here you've installed the modules that came with the package, not
compiled for your system.

> [...]
> agrsoftmodem.c
> agrmodem.h
> linuxif.h
> agrmodemlib.o
> Makefile
> agrinst
> agruninst
> agr_auxinst
> agr_softmodem
> README ... and follows with clauses of the END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT'
>
> Then I checked the following:
>
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~$ ls -l /dev/ttyAGS3
> crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 62, 67 2009-08-21 21:47 /dev/ttyAGS3
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~$ ls -l /dev/ttySAGR
> ls: cannot access /dev/ttySAGR: No such file or directory
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
> [sudo] password for dadisboss:
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~$ sudo wvdial
> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
> --> Cannot open /dev/ttySAGR: No such file or directory
> --> Cannot open /dev/ttySAGR: No such file or directory
> --> Cannot open /dev/ttySAGR: No such file or directory
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~$ sudo wvdial
> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
> --> Initializing modem.
> --> Sending: ATZ
> ATZ
> OK
> --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> OK
> --> Modem initialized.
> --> Configuration does not specify a valid phone number.
> --> Configuration does not specify a valid login name.
> --> Configuration does not specify a valid password.
>
> Here is where I tried editing /etc/wvdial.conf using a template Antonio
> provided
> Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:46 PM
>
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
> Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.
> Scanning your serial ports for a modem.
> ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
> ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
> ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- and failed too at 115200, giving up.
> Modem Port Scan<*1>: S1 S2 S3
>
> Sorry, no modem was detected! Is it in use by another program?
> Did you configure it properly with setserial?
> Please read the FAQ at http://open.nit.ca/wiki/?WvDial
> If you still have problems, send mail to <wvdial-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>.
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~$ sudo wvdial
> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
> --> Cannot open 3D /dev/ttyAGS3: No such file or directory
> --> Cannot open 3D /dev/ttyAGS3: No such file or directory
> --> Cannot open 3D /dev/ttyAGS3: No such file or directory
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~$ ls -l /dev/ttyAGS3
> crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 62, 67 2009-08-21 22:12 /dev/ttyAGS3
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
> dadisboss@MARVIN:~$ sudo wvdial
> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
> --> Cannot open 3D /dev/ttyAGS3: No such file or directory

The '3D' there is from copy and pasting email. In some emails, after
quoting, '=' becomes '=3D' (another on you might see is '=20', which
is a space). Remove the '3D' after the '=' in your wvdial.conf.

> At this point I have to say I'd be stabbing in the dark.

First you need to get it to compile, which means checking your kernel
source installation.
--
Joshua Crawford ... http://geocities.com/mortarn

http://www.rewardscentral.com.au/Join/Default.aspx?refer=mortarn