Re: mehionline, Iran, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic

RE:  I will be surprised if  /dev/ttySL0 sticks around after reboot.
True, as expected.

With almost all current drivers, the corresponding ports/devices are
dynamically created upon driver loading.
The whole /dev/ folder is by beneficial design in RAM space and
doesnot survive shutdown.
Rather /dev/ is created during bootup, and devices within it only upon
the demand.
This strategy was devised to obviate the need for a hugh /dev/ space,
mostly containing unneeded devices.

In the past there was a line in the /etc/modprobe.d/sl-modem.conf
which co-served in:
ungrab-winmodem.ko loading
slamr.ko  loading
dynamic creation  of  /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N  the true modem port

It is new Ubuntu policy, that such "helper'' lines should no longer be used.
Ahmed  <aelmahmoudy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> is consequently in process
of a driver update addressing this problem.
But in the meantime, the required device nodes can always be created manually,
or by running in a sl-modem-source code folder
$ sudo ./setup

Concerning the drivers complementary to the slmodemd utility, the are
success reports with slamr under Jaunty kernels.  There are problems
with the modem code included with the ALSA driver snd-hda-intel  audio
driver,
affecting Si3054 modem chips on HDA card.  But that code is managed by
the ALSA team.

MarvS
scanModem maintainer

MarvS