Re: need help getting online

Jeremiah,

 Support type needed or chipset:	Agere.DSP

Do download martian-full-20080625.tar.gz from
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/martian-full-20080625.tar.gz

Also do download packages linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev packages:

as scanModem recommends:

 Minimal compiling resources appear complete:
   make utility - /usr/bin/make
   Compiler version 4.3
   linuc_headers base folder /lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic/build

 However some compilations and executable functions may need additional files,
 in the FileNames.h (so called kernel "h"eaders) collection installed
in  /usr/include/ .
 For martian_modem, additional required packages are needed. The also
required headers of package libc6 are commonly installed by default.
 Compiling hsfmodem drivers does require linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev
packages, for kernels 2.6.24 and later versions.
 In not included on your install CD, search for them at
http://packages.ubuntu.com

After you install the packages with

$ sudo dpkg linux-libc-dev and
$ sudo dpkg libc6-dev

or in one step
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

You may extract martian sources:
$ tar -zxvf martian-full-20080625.tar.gz
$ cd martian-full-20080625/
$ make all
$ sudo make install
$ sudo modprobe martian_dev
$ sudo martian_modem

Fire up another terminal and run
$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

and it should find modem port /dev/ttySM0, in fact after running $
sudo martian_modem, it should be found and all that should remain is
add your username, phone number, and password add a line Carrier Check
= no and try to connect.  Report back if you encounter difficulties.

Regards,

Antonio