Re: slamr&jaunty

Mirko,

The problem  with automation  of slamr usage under Jaunty originates
from a change in Ubuntu policy explained below.  Your fix is to create
a file  previously supplied in the sl-modem-daemon package, providing
for symbolic link creation.  Make it with:
$ sudo gedit  /etc/modprobe.d/mirko.conf

containing ONE LINE which is however folded in this email:
install slamr modprobe --ignore-install  ungrab-winmodem ;  modprobe
--ignore-install slamr; test -e  /dev/slamr0 || (/bin/mknod -m 660
/dev/slamr0 c 242 0 2>/dev/null && chgrp dialout /dev/slamr0)

Afterwards inform the System with:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart

with responses like:
Shutting down SmartLink Modem driver normally ..
Unloading modem driver from kernel
Starting SmartLink Modem driver for: slamr0.
Creating /dev/modem symlink, pointing to: /dev/ttySL0.
 Apr 28 19:03:57 marvlap kernel: [ 2329.513654] slamr: SmartLink AMRMO modem.

Checking with
$ lsmod | grep slamr
slamr                 435496  0
$ lsmod | grep ungrab
ungrab_winmodem         9984  0

$ ls -l /dev/modem /dev/ttySL0
ls: cannot access /dev/ttySL0: No such file or directory
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2009-04-28 19:03 /dev/modem -> ttySL0

Lacking Smarlink hardware a linkage:
  /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N (the true modem port)
was not created on my System, but it should be on yours.

You will still have to:
$ sudo wvdialconf
which should find the modem. Then do the edit to
$ sudo gedit  /etc/wvdial.conf
removing the symbols ; < >
as you add in your personal info and a line:
 Carrier Check  = no

To do successive dialout sessions, you will likely have to do:
$ sudo  /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart

But with the sl-modem-source install now being dkms competent (Thanks
to Ahmed),
upon kernel updates, the matching slamr.ko & ungrab-winmodem will be
autocompiled and installed. The  /etc/modprobe.d/mirko.conf  is stable
and shouldn't need  updates

Please test  all  and report directly to the List. not to me directly

MarvS

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:45:52PM -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> The code exists, although I am not sure whether it is appropriate or
> not within GPL.  The device node gets created if the following is
> placed in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
>
>      Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
> /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:install slamr modprobe --ignore-install
> ungrab-winmodem ;  modprobe --ignore-install slamr; test -e
> /dev/slamr0 || (/bin/mknod -m 660 /dev/slamr0 c 242 0 2>/dev/null &&
> chgrp uucp /dev/slamr0)
>
> That will create the device nodes and appropriate permissions to dialout.
---end quoted text---

 That used to exist in the slmodem Debian package indeed, yet Ubuntu
 developers removed it.

 Yet this line only creates one device (which I think will be for just
 1 modem), let's suppose that a machine got 2 modems, this
 modprobe.conf line won't create the device for the 2nd modem. I think
 there is a way that would create the appropriate device if a correct
 udev rule (and probably some supporting code in the module) is made.

 Yet maybe that won't work if the MODULE_LICENSE isn't GPL.

 Which made me make some experiment a couple of weeks ago: I changed
 the MODULE_LICENSE to GPL (Not Dual BSD/GPL), but GPL, and compiled
 slmodem, and used the slamr device, I noticed that I got extra output
 from udevadm when I did this, but the kernel freezed after that, so I
 didn't bother to try again, since that won't be legal to distribute
 anyways.

Ahmed