Re: Shankar Jog, India, BOSS GNU/Linux 3.0, kernel 2.6.22-3-486

Shankar,

Start at http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downloads-license.php.
Go to hsfmodem page. Get a generic package near the bottom of the page.
Downloaded packages must be moved into the Linux partition (home folder is OK)
and unzipped with:
 unzip hsf*.zip
The installation command for a .deb suffic packages is, with root/adm
permission:
  dpkg -i hsf*.deb
while for .rpm suffix it is, with:
 rpm -i hsf*.rpm

After the installation,
  0780 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem
     Primary device ID:  14f1:2f30
should be detected by your dialout utility, but run its configuation first.

We prefer
# wvdialconf
If it fines the modem, edit in personal information with:
#  gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
removing the symbols ; < >

Then try a dialout with:
# wvdial