ppp daemon still dies

I've got my modem to dial out, but the moment it connects, the connection is terminated and I get the message "The PPP daemon has died" with an error code 02.  I've looked at the pppd manual but it doesn't do much in explaining what to do to fix the problem.  Here's what it says:

       2      An error was detected in processing the options given,  such  as two mutually exclusive options being used.

I blundered into /var/log and found this in the system log after the last dial-in attempt:

Mar 22 13:48:01 morris-laptop pppd[22686]: Can't open options file /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial: Permission denied

Next, I checked for /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial and found an empty folder.

Should I simply start over?  Do I have to reformat my drive and reinstall my distro?  Help!

Morris