Re: Charles Smith, USA, kernel 2.4.27-2-386

Charles,

It is strongly advised that you install some Linux using current 2.6.n
kernels, such as a current Debian or Ubuntu Intrepid installation.
THe 2,4,27 kernels are some six years old and well not support many
features of newer PC hardware.  Also the ppp protocols have
significantly evoled.  So there is no guarantee that even successfully
compiled drivers  and the six year old pppd protocols will be able to
effectively negotiate with current Internet Provider protocols.

But if you do continue with kernesl 2.4.n , you could try using from:
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/archive/source/
the ltmodem-8.26a6.tar.gz

Before beginning you should install the packages libc6-dev or
comparable and kernel-headers-2.4.27-2-386.  However I do not know
where such would be archived, after six years.

MarvS
scanModem and former ltmodem maintainer.